As we head into the warmer months and begin to emerge from this trying year there are many activities seniors can enjoy outside. It is important for our physical and mental health to enjoy the warm weather and fresh air. Soaking up the sunlight helps generate Vitamin D, which is necessary for a healthy brain, bones and muscle. This can also help improve cognitive function and mood. In addition to the physical benefits of natural sunlight and fresh air, being outside provides many emotional benefits as well. Here are just a few ideas to think about as we head into summer!
- Soak up the sun at a park
- Catch a grandchild’s sporting event or game
- Feed the ducks at a local pond
- Have a nice outdoor picnic with your caregiver or loved one
- Grab an ice cream and watch kids on the playground
- Attend an outdoor community event
- Go to a local farmer’s market to shop around
Whatever your choice just make sure to enjoy times with loved ones and take in the sun as the weather warms up!